Suspect in the murders of a DC family- “Got Him!”

The Washington DC family were tortured, then murdered, and their mansion set on fire. Four people- American Iron works CEO Savvas Savopoulos, his wife Amy, his 10 yr old son Philip, and their housekeeper Veralicia Figueroa  were brutally killed in what was at first a mysterious situation that left police unsure of the circumstances. After the arrest of Daron Wint, 34, Thursday night, the picture leaves as many questions as it does answers.

 dc family

Left to right – Savvas Savopoulos, his wife Amy, 10 yr old son Philip, and housekeeper Veralicia Figueroa

The timeline of the incident per The Daily Mail:

MAY 13

3pm: Housekeeper Veralicia Figueroa is supposed to leave for the day, according to a second housekeeper, Nelitza Gutierrez.

5.30pm: Amy Savopoulos calls her husband, telling him to come home to watch their 10-year-old son because she has plans, Gutierrez says.

9pm: A Domino’s pizza deliveryman takes two pizzas to the home. Money has been left outside for him so he takes it and leaves the pizzas.

9.30pm: Savvas Savopoulos calls Gutierrez’ phone and leaves her a flustered-sounding voicemail. She doesn’t notice it until the next morning. Though Savopoulos had indicated earlier that his wife was going out, in the voicemail he said she is sick in bed and another housekeeper, Veralicia Figueroa, is staying overnight. He also says in the voicemail that Figueroa’s cellphone is dead and the family doesn’t have a charger for it, which Gutierrez says is odd.

MAY 14

Morning: At some point, Figueroa’s husband, Bernardo Alfaro, goes to the house and knocks on the door, but no one answers. While there, Alfaro told WJLA-TV that Savvas Savopoulos called his cellphone and told him that Amy had gone to the hospital and Figueroa had accompanied her.

‘My feeling was that somebody was inside,’ Alfaro said. He continued trying to call his wife and got no answer.

Also that morning, Savopoulos makes a flurry of phone calls, including to his bank. His assistant drops of $40,000 at the home.

9.30am: Gutierrez receives a text message from Amy Savopoulos’ cellphone saying ‘I am making sure you do not come today.’ Gutierrez says she calls Amy Savopoulos immediately, but the call goes to voicemail. She texts her and doesn’t get a response.

10.30am: The family’s 2008 blue Porsche 911 is last seen at the home, D.C. police Chief Cathy Lanier said. Later in the day, it is found torched in a parking lot in New Carrollton, Maryland, about 13 miles from the Savopoulos house.

1.30pm: D.C. Fire and EMS responds to a call for a fire on Woodland Drive and find the bodies inside the home. They immediately suspect someone may have intentionally set the house on fire. 

The week long manhunt


Daron Daylon Wint- Facebook photo

Police developed suspect Daron Daylon Wint  on Wednesday after investigation revealed his DNA on a pizza crust delivered to the residence. He was a welder 10 years ago at American Iron Works. His DNA was on file from a lengthy criminal record.

The victims were doused with gasoline, and suffered blunt force trauma prior to the home being set on fire.  Police are not ruling out that he acted alone in the murders.

Police narrowly missed capturing the  suspect in Brooklyn, New York, where they interviewed his girlfriend on Thursday. She told them he was going to “turn himself in.”

But he didn’t. Police  tracked his movements from Maryland to Brooklyn, and back to DC. At around 11:30 pm Thursday night, Wint and three other males including his brother, along with two females, were arrested after being tailed by a helicopter from Prince George County. U.S. Marshals and “about 50-60″ officers assisted in arresting the individuals after they left a Howard Johnson Motel in DC.

When Marshals stopped the white Chevy Cruze and Ford truck that was following him, the truck was found to be carrying $10,00 in cash. Police are continuing the investigation.


This is the truck that was following the white Chevy Cruze- and it was packed with cash. MyFoxDC photo

Wint is scheduled to appear in DC Superior Court on Friday afternoon, May 22.

Two daughters of the  Savopoulos family were away at boarding school when the incident took place. The family issued the following statement:

“We are thankful to law enforcement who have worked so diligently to bring about an arrest in this case… While it does not abate our pain, we hope that it begins to restore a sense of calm and security to our neighborhood and to our city. We are blessed to live in a community comprised of close circles of friends who have supported us and grieve with us… Our family, and Vera’s family, have suffered unimaginable loss, and we ask for the time and space to grieve privately.”




Previous post

New Jersey 5th grader suspended for Nerf bullet

Next post

Steve Reichert- USMC Warrior

Faye Higbee

Faye Higbee

I'm a published author of 4 books, numerous short stories, blogs and editorials. I've been working at Uncle Sam's since 2013. I have two degrees in Criminal Justice and worked for over 31 years at a local police department. I have been a patriotic American since I was a child.

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>